Guidelines for Meter Base Installation
- Meter base locations must be approved by Boone Electric Cooperative (BEC).
- Meter base must be installed at eye level.
- Member/Contractor will supply conduit from meter base to 24" below ground surface at final grade. This is to be 2" schedule 40 electrical conduit for 200 amp services and 2 ½" schedule 40 electrical conduit for 400 amp services. In addition, a sweeping 90 must be supplied. BEC will install conduit.
- Member secondary wire will be connected to the bottom meter base lugs and exit from the bottom or the back of the meter base.
- Meter base must be installed on the side of structure closest to transformer or secondary box from which power will be received.
- No meter base will be supplied until any and all permits from governing agencies have been received.
- All installations are subject to BEC engineering guidelines and appropriate governing safety codes including but not limited to the NESC and NEC.
If installation does not comply with any of the above criteria:
Installation may be subject to inspection failure by Boone County planning and zoning, City of Columbia protective inspections or out of county Boone Electric inspections. Member or contractor may be required to relocate and re-install meter base at their expense. Member/contractor will be required to:
- Pay a minimum of $400 to cover additional expense incurred by BEC
- Provide open ditch for wire installation that is inspected and approved to BEC construction standards
- Provide 2” or 2 ½” schedule 40 electrical conduit for driveway crossing
Any questions may be directed to the Boone Electric Cooperative Engineering Department at 573-449-4181.